Monday 14 January 2013

Making words

Today we started a new spelling program called Making Words.  We used the app Magnetic Letters.  We pulled the letters:  s, c, c, r, t,  h and a.  Mrs. Betts gave us clues and we had to use the letters to spell the word.  For example, she might say make a word that means something you can travel in.  Then we spell the word car.  Some of the words we spelled were star, cars, cash, trash.  We talk about the spelling patterns we learn.  The patterns that we are working on this week are: ash, at, art.   All the letters together make a wizard word.  This week the wizard word is scratch.  Here is a picture of some of the words we made with the letters we were given.







8 comments:

  1. I liked it! It was fun!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grade 1/2 class enjoys making words as well. We use letter cards instead of iPads, and the students always try to figure out the big word right away. I like how you call it the 'wizard' word!

    Matt and Nik's mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use the letter cards and then thought "I can use the iPad for this!" I found magnetic letters app worked great! Maybe you can try it with your class and let us know how it works.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you found it fun. I think you will really like it when you have to figure out the wizard word by yourself. It is lots of fun. Sometimes they are hard to figure out. How many words can you spell with the letters s,c,c,r,t,h and a?
    Mrs. Betts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sat,at,scratch,rat,scat,hat and cat

      Matt

      Delete
  4. I liked it to.Nik

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love word games. It's an interesting set of letters you have.

    As a six letter word, I like: charts.
    My favourite word I can make: tsar

    Graham's Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if any King Cobras know what that word means? I challenge them to find out!

    ReplyDelete