Saturday 16 February 2013

A Special Gift

In December, we read a book called, "The Mitten Tree."  It was about an old lady who made mittens for the children in her neighborhood.  She hung them on a tree and the children picked then off.  When they found out who had made all the mittens they took her more wool.  It was a lovely story about giving and caring. 




While we were reading it, Matt and Nik's Oma stood quietly listening to the story and our discussion. Without saying a word to us she left our classroom and spent the next 2 months knitting a pair of socks for every student in our class!!!!!  I'm sure you could imagine our excitement when she arrived the other day to give us her "gifts from the heart."  The squeals of delight could be heard throughout the hallways!  We quickly removed our shoes and socks and put on our new ones.  One student said, "these are the best socks to wear when you want to stay in your pjs all day!"  I couldn't agree more!  From all of us, we thank you for our special gifts. We'll never forget your kindness.






5 comments:

  1. The socks are awesome!! Oma is a very special lady, but I already knew that! Thanks so much! Both my kids loved them!
    From Jenson's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly wonderful gift from the heart. This post made me smile from ear to ear! Thanks for sharing. Ms. Lirenman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Bett's class,

    It was a great opportunity to meet you all in your class on Valentine's Day. It was my pleasure to knit all these socks for you. Matt and Nik and I decided to knit socks instead of mitts. I'm glad they all fit. Knitting is my hobby,and I love to do it.

    Matt and Nik's Oma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have you in our class! We love having visitors. Thanks for making a comment on our blog. We love to hear from people! Best socks
      EVER!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Rylee loves the special socks and I appreciate the wonderful gesture and the story behind the socks. Thanks you Matt and Nik's Oma !

    ReplyDelete