Friday 26 December 2014

The Smallest Gift


 During the last week of school we read the book The Smallest Gift of Christmas by Peter Reynolds, who is the author of the books we read for our Global Read Aloud this fall.  The book is about a boy named Roland who isn't satisfied with his Christmas gift because he thinks it is "too small."









 After throwing a tantrum and demanding a bigger and bigger gift his original gift gets bigger and bigger!


















While searching for a bigger gift he ends up in outer space.  He looks out the window of his spaceship and sees how small Earth is and he  suddenlly realizes that the thing he wants most - his family- is very, very far away and very, very small.  He comes to realize that it is not the size of the gift that is important.



We followed  this with a discussion on the importance of spending time with the people who mean the most to us.  We asked the students what they would like to do most with their families over the holidays.  Here are some of their answers. . . .
"I want to snuggle in my parents bed in the morning."
"I hope to go skating with my family."
"I hope to go skiing with my family."
"I hope to go for a walk on the beach with my family."
"I want to have a family dinner."

Whatever you do over the holidays I hope you find time to relax and enjoy some special moments with friends and family.

What do you like to do with your friends and family during the holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment